Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Papa is a rolling stone. (No, not Mick Jagger)

*
Black folks, can we talk? This next subject is a little uncomfortable, but I want to discuss it. Part of my reasons for wanting to tackle it is professional. A great deal of my work is in the domestic relations area, and I truly believe that one of the main reasons for certain pathologies in our community is because of the lack of a cohesive family structure in many of our homes. ( Oh, and by our I mean black folks. I know white folks face the same problems, but I am not interested in them right now. They have a lot of experts and forums where they can address their own issues. )


Anyway, I saw a stat today that had me thinking about this subject: "A new study shows that the rate of American women who have children with multiple fathers, also called "multiple-father family structure," is "pervasive." According to the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, 1 in 5 American Moms has kids with different birth fathers. And you probably already know what's next. Black Mothers lead the list: 59 percent of us have children with more than one father, while Hispanics come in second place at 35 percent and whites come in last at 22 percent. " [More]


Now ladies, I see those hole punchers pointing at my head. But please don't shoot the messenger.


I know I know, me...I mean sperm donors are half of the problem. True! They are! So now what?

I need solutions, not the same old finger pointing.


Oh, and before I go. Shout out to the folks at "The Root" for featuring this blog in their "30 Bloggers You Should Know" segment. That was field Negro behavior on their part.


BTW, the thing folks liked the most about this blog is the comments section. That means all of you, the folks who not only lurk but brave the unpredictable and precarious comments section in the fields.


*Pic from AOL blackvoices.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment