Sunday, July 17, 2011

No World Cup and no boyfriends.

I watched the women's World Cup soccer final today along with millions of other folks. As someone who considers himself somewhat of an aficionado of the "beautiful game", let me say for the record that those ladies can play.

Congrats to Japan on their stunning upset of the Americans. Their country has had a rough year and the poor folks needed a lift.

Still, I feel bad for the American goalie, Hope Solo. Girlfriend is a little field Negroish, (I know that's not a word, so spare me your e-mails) so I was hoping for the best for her.

Oh well ladies, better luck next time. We will see you again in four years.

Finally, I saw the following article over at The Fresh Express, and I wanted to get some of your opinions about it: (Especially the ladies.)

"Ok so as I was watching my girl Judy on TV the other day, you all may know her as Judge Judy, yeah her, she was dealing with a baby mama drama case where the girl wanted some money from her baby daddy. The girl was telling her side of the story and in the beginning said that she and her baby’s father had broken up and she put him out due to “marijuana usage”.

So later in the girl’s story she said that after they reconciled the guy cheated on her and I thank God that my girl Judy cut her up for that. She told her that that was a lie basically because for one, she kicked him out; secondly, they were not married, so there’s no way “cheating” took place.

What I’m getting to here is, what the hell is a boyfriend?! I know previously as a culture we decided that by like mid-20s that word should be abolished but I’m proposing it be abolished after high school. Please tell me what a boyfriend/girlfriend is and how it fits into your journey to become a man/woman because I don’t see it. I stopped believing in that boyfriend-girlfriend thing right after high school.

Boyfriend/girlfriend is a title. That’s it. In no way, shape, or form does it signify commitment. Y’all can keep getting tricked into being “wifey” or his “girlfriend” forever if y’all want to, but I’m taking a different route. We all know one too many “girlfriends” that wouldn’t be so self-righteous if they knew what their “boyfriends” were really up to.

The way I see it, getting a guy to commit to this title first does not, nor has it ever guaranteed that you will see a ring, so why commit yourself to someone that’s not going to be around ‘till death do you part?

Ain’t gone happen over here.

One day I was just thinking and was like, “Ok so I want a guy to kick it with all the time and maybe do a little bump and grind,” but then I was like, “I’m a busy girl. I don’t have time to maintain a real relationship right now,” and then I was like, “and even if I do get me a man, I’m not trying to be his girlfriend forever and ever, we’ll eventually have to break-up if he doesn’t propose around the time I’m ready to settle down or he’ll cheat or we’ll grow apart.”

Then it hit me, why should I even have to go through that for a maybe? This ain’t spades and I ain’t putting no money on no possibles.

To me, commitment is a guy going out and getting a ring, asking my friends if they like it, discussing it with his boys and our families, then nervously getting down on one knee in a super cute setting that he planned out on his own.

Anything other than that is redundant. Why should I ever be stressed about a relationship that isn’t recognized by anybody’s God, nor does it affect my taxes? I shouldn’t. Nobody should.

Now don’t get me wrong, I understand that you can’t control when you fall in love and I’m not suggesting that you postpone the feelings until marriage and I’m definitely not saying that slutting until then is acceptable but chill out.

What is the point in fully committing to someone you may or may not spend your life with? You can figure out if you want to marry that person without a title. As a matter of fact, that’s a better way to do it because there’s no reason to lie to each other about anything if you don’t “go together.”' [Full story]

I guess I want your opinions, because, now that I think about it, I really don't understand what girlfriend is trying to say.

Help!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment