Thursday, August 26, 2010

Stabbed For Being Muslim In NY

TPM reports that "a cab driver in Manhttan was allegedly stabbed by a passenger who asked if the cabbie was Muslim (the cabbie said "yes"), and says the incident is being treated as a hate crime. The suspect has been charged with attempted murder and other crimes."

TPM in another report says the stabber is Michael Enright. (In picture with 'third world' prop so important to whiteness.)

Enright is said to be "a film student at the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan and has been working with the Intersection International, an interfaith and multicultural effort which seeks to promote justice and peace."

Ok! So what they been teaching him?

The word is that Enright is said to be a serious drinker according to his classmates.

So I guess being tanked in the US dredges up anti-Muslim hatred too.

What else?

The Muslim cab driver's name is Ahmed H. Sharif.

In a released statement Sharif said:"I have been here more than 25 years. I have been driving a taxi more than 15 years. All my four kids were born here."

Sad day for Mr. Sharif. I am very happy to know he survived to tell the world of the growing madness that lurks just beneath the veneer of American style democracy.

I lived in the US for 26 years and claim it as my 'other' place of belonging just as much (if not more at times) as South Africa.

I am ashamed to know that so much of my youthful admiration for the idea of America was mostly delusional.

This attack is merely one incident I know. But it is hardly in isolation of the rampant bigotry that Muslims face in the US.

And it extends from there.

This blog receives almost daily anonymous rants that are anti-Muslim and racist (I refuse to post most of them).

In other web places you will find acrobatic liberal and conservative translations of why a Mosque close to Ground Zero "is not the right thing ... right now."

I wish I had a dollar for each time the "right thing" mantra was thrown at me.

Calling the US on it's sh*t is "the right thing ... right now." There is no other choice but to stand against the racist drift that has 70% of Americans supporting the racist nonsense that a Mosque close to Ground Zero is not "the right thing ... right now."

Islam is not responsible for imperial Humpty falling down ... Humpty did it all by hisself.

In the end Islam will be standing long after the US is not. So the wheel turns hey.

May Mr. Sharif heal in peace.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment