Sunday, February 20, 2011

First Nanny?

*
It's tough on Sundays these days for a red blooded A-merry-can sports fan. Right now I am typing as a dreadful up and down the court spectacle known as the NBA All Star game is taking place. Today they played an NHL game outdoors and the ice was so hard that those cats could barely move on their skates. It was ugly. NASCAR? No offense to my friends down in Dixie, but if I want to watch a bunch of cars go around and around in circles I would just as soon stand outside of City Hall here in Philly.

So anyway, I could do some racism chasing tonight, but I will leave Big R alone for now. (Noose in the workplace? So what else is new? Just another day at work for black folks here in A-merry-ca. h/t Nordette.)

So let's talk breasts. Get your mind out of the gutter, I am not talking about breasts in a sexual way; I want to talk about them as they relate to nutrition. Seems that there is a dust up between our First Lady and wingnuts over whether "the breast is best":

"Ms. Bachmann lashed out at the campaign on Tuesday on Laura Ingraham’s radio show, saying that it reflected a “hard left” position that “government is the answer to everything.”

While noting that she had breast-fed the five children she gave birth to, Ms. Bachmann said, “To think that government has to go out and buy my breast pump — You want to talk about nanny state, I think we just got a new definition
.”

Yes, the IRS is apparently going to give a tax- break to mothers who use the breast pump. But this debate is all over the place. Apparently some folks on the left agree with Queen wingnut, and some folks on the right agree with the First Lady. My my, these are confusing times in which we live. Politics has reared its ugly head into our infant's breast milk.

Now I am not an expert on this subject.....the feeding part....well....the milk part...let me quit while I am ahead. But I think it's amazing how quick the wingnuts will jump on damn near anything (and everything) those Obama folks try to do.

Poor Michelle Obama, she just wants A-merry-ca's kids to be healthy. And whether you agree with her stance on breast feeding or not, you can't, deep in your heart, say with a straight face that she does not care about mothers and their children. She wants our children to be healthy. It's better for their families; it's better for A-merry-ca.

But, in spite of this, they make fun of her and resort to juvenile name calling and cartoons.*
(And they wonder why we can't have a grown up debate in this country)

I say keep doing what you do Michelle. We need a "nanny state" for some of our damn kids and their parents out here. Hell, I see stories like this one out of my hometown, (Some of you Negroes and these Play Stations, I swear) and I start thinking to myself that we might need a lot more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment