Friday, October 22, 2010

Black folks, dogs, and welfare.

*
Just a quick field Negro programing note before I get to my next post: I will be reviving the "COONIE AWARDS" this weekend. I know that I retired them a couple of years ago, but A-merry-ca has been struck by a wave of coonism of late, and I feel pressed to recognize those who are contributing to our coonieness. I am still trying to find a venue for an official awards ceremony, but until then, I will just have to send them out.

Anyway, tonight, once again, I want to pose a question to my black conservative friends who choose to align themselves with the republican tribe: Could one of you please explain this guy Dave Batholomew to me? And has he been denounced on your blogs and on your television station?

And, --maybe he has already, and if he has I apologize-- where is Michael Steele when you need him to come out publicly against folks like the aforementioned Mr. Bartholomew? I am just asking. Usually I wouldn't really care, but hey, it's political season, and these things tend to be kind of important around this time.

"Virginia Beach Republican Party chair Dave Bartholomew... may not be a racist, but he is certainly acting like one. Bartholomew is under fire for forwarding an e-mail comparing African Americans to dogs on welfare. I won't say another word and will let you read the e-mail yourself.

MY DOG

I went down this morning to sign up my Dog for welfare.

At first the lady said, "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare".

So I explained to her that my Dog is black, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and has no frigging clue who his Daddy is.

So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify...

My Dog gets his first check Friday.

Is this a great country or what?

I would say that when I saw this e-mail I was furious, but I wouldn't be telling the entire truth. Instead of being furious, I was only surprised that Bartholomew was caught. Many of us have known that the Republican Party attracts the very worst and most racist of us and is the party that every Klansman, skinhead, neo-nazi and militia member wants to join.

Their racism is typically cloaked in creative metaphors and diatribes on personal responsibility, but the truth is that being poor and/or black is a crime in the minds of many Republicans. This e-mail doesn't surprise me one bit, and I'm sure the chair was forwarding the message to another Republican.

I look forward to seeing how Bartholomew spins this one after the public expresses its outrage. He may admit that it was a horrible mistake and pretend that he's not racist. He might try to say that someone broke into his e-mail account and sent the messages without his knowledge. He may even try to justify the horrible joke in some ridiculous way. After our recent fight in the city of Syracuse about a sheriff's candidate who appears to have sent racist e-mails, I've seen how deep denial can go in the world of politics.

Dave Bartholomew needs to resign immediately. He also needs to issue an apology to the American public for passing on such an offensive message. If other Republicans do not stand together to denounce Bartholomew's actions, we will know what they are all about." [Article]


Wrong Dr. Watkins, why should he resign? He is merely expressing how he feels. I expect that from the Dave Bartholomews of the world. What disappoints me is that black folks in his tribe choose to remain silent while folks like him show their ignorance.

Hey, maybe the Coonie trophy is more coveted than I thought.
*Pic lifted from BTX3's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment